Social media statistics
- For context, total worldwide population is approximately 7.3 billion
- The internet has 3.17 billion users
- There are 2.3 billion active social media users
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels
- Internet users have an average of 5.54 social media accounts
- Social media users have risen by 176 million in the last year
- 1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second.
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion messages a day
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second
- 72% of all online US adults visit Facebook at least once a month
- The average (mean) number of friends is 338, and the median (midpoint) number of friends is 200.
- Half of internet users who do not use Facebook themselves live with someone who does.
- Of those, 24% say that they look at posts or photos on that person’s account
- There are an estimated 81 million fake Facebook profiles
- The most popular page is Facebook for Every Phone, with 509,772,152 likes
- There are 40 million active small business Pages
- But only 2 million of those businesses pay for advertising
- Facebook accounts for 62% of social logins made by consumers to sign into the apps and websites of publishers and brands.
- There are 400 million Monthly Active Users on Instagram
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day
- There are 3.5 billion Instagram Likes per day
- More than 40 billion photos have been shared so far
- 90 percent of Instagram users are younger than 35
- When Instagram introduced videos, more than 5 million were shared in 24 hours
- Pizza is the most popular Instagrammed food, behind sushi and steak
- 32% of US teens cite Instagram as their favourite social network
Social media statistics are ever changing, often trending towards newer platforms. Facebook and Instagram are the key players in the social media world and will most likely remain that way for some time. I highly recommend utilizing these integrated sites for any business marketing.